What if I Believe I am a Victim of Discrimination?

Federal and/or NYS law prohibits housing discrimination based on your race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status, disability, age, marital status, domestic violence victim status, pregnancy-related condition, gender identity or expression, certain prior arrest or conviction records, predisposing genetic characteristics, and citizenship or immigration status

You can file a discrimination complaint by contacting one of the government agencies below and/or reach out to a fair housing testing organization that may send trained testers to determine whether discrimination is occurring.


New York State
Division of Human Rights

One Fordham Plaza
4th Floor
Bronx, New York 10458
Toll free (888) 392-3644
TDD/TTY (718) 741-8300
Email [email protected]
Website: http://www.dhr.ny.gov/
Complaint Form   

Civil Rights Bureau of the New York State Attorney General’s Office
Office of the Attorney General

The Capitol
Albany, NY 12224-0341
(800) 771-7755 or (212) 416-8250
Email-[email protected].

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W.
Washington, DC 20410

U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
New York and New Jersey Office
26 Federal Plaza
New York, N.Y. 10278
(800) 496-4294
Website - www.hud.gov

United States Department of Justice
U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division

950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Housing and Civil Enforcement Section, NWB
Washington, DC 20530-0001
(202) 514-4713

Fair Housing Testing Organizations

These organizations are funded by NYSHCR to conduct fair housing testing to determine whether discrimination has occurred or is occurring.


Westchester Residential Opportunities, Inc.
470 Mamaroneck Avenue, Suite 410
White Plains, NY 10605
Tel : 914-428-4507


Fair Housing Justice Center
30-30 Northern Blvd #302,
Long Island City, NY 11101
Tel: (212) 400-8201

Long Island Housing Services
640 Johnson Ave., Suite 8,
Bohemia, NY 11716-2624
Tel (Suffolk): 631-567-5111
Tel (Nassau): 516-292-0400

CNY Fair Housing
731 James St, Suite 200
Syracuse, NY 13203
Tel (315) 471-0420
[email protected]

Legal Assistance of Western New York
Rochester Office: (585) 325-2520
Geneva Office: (315) 781-1465
Bath Office: (607) 776-4126
Elmira Office: (607) 734-1647
Ithaca Office: (607) 273-3667
Jamestown Office: (716) 664-4535
Olean Office: (716) 373-4701

Housing Opportunities Made Equal
1542 Main Street (at Ferry)
Buffalo, NY 14209
Tel: 716.854.1400