The Mitchell-Lama Program provides housing across New York State that is affordable to the middle class. It was created by the Limited Profit Housing Act in 1955, which was championed by Manhattan State Senator MacNeil Mitchell and former Brooklyn Assemblyman Alfred Lama. New York State Homes and Community Renewal plays an oversight role for existing Mitchell-Lama developments, and works with owners as they near the end of their 20-year affordability requirements to provide low-cost financing tools that help maintain the developments while also extending their affordability.

Automated Waiting List Apps

Mitchell-Lama Automated Waiting List System (AWL) Some text about the main app

Welcome to the Mitchell-Lama Automated Waiting List (AWL). This web-based system enables State-supervised housing companies to store and process applicant information more efficiently. The functions below  make the waiting lists at these developments available to the public while safeguarding the confidentiality of personal applicant information.

Frequently asked questions concerning the AWL are answered below. Specific questions about your application, or the marketing information displayed by these functions, should be directed to the development's management office.


  • General Waiting List Report - This report provides basic marketing and contact information for the selected development and enables the user to generate transfer and admission waiting lists for each available apartment size showing the position, number and date of active applications.
  • Waiting List Position Query - This query provides basic marketing and contact information for the selected development and enables applicants to check their current waiting list position by entering their application number.
  • Update Contact Information - This link allows an active admission applicant to submit an online request to update their address and telephone number(s) on file with a housing company. The housing company has the right to accept or reject any changes submitted online.

Frequently Asked Questions for Mitchell-Lama Automated Waiting List (AWL) Public Access Functions

  1. The Mitchell-Lama development I applied to doesn't appear on the dropdown lists.

    Contact the development's management office to find out who the supervisory agency is. The NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development also supervises Mitchell-Lamas, but only HCR supervised developments are on the AWL system. If HCR is the supervisory agency, it is also possible that the development is known by, and listed under, another name or is not on the AWL yet.

  2. The development I applied to is not on the AWL system yet. When can I expect this to happen?

    We expect that all HCR supervised Mitchell-Lama developments will eventually be on the AWL. Contact the development's management office to find out if they have a projected conversion date.

  3. I applied to a development on HCR's AWL system and received an application number, but I can't find the number on their waiting list.

    If you applied recently, your application might not have been entered into the system yet. If that's not the case, and you applied before the development was converted to the AWL, your application number would have been changed during the conversion. Another possibility is that your application may have been inactivated by the housing company. Please contact the development's management office for information.

  4. I'm further down on the waiting list than I was the last time I checked. Does this mean something is wrong?

    Not necessarily. Inactivated applicants can be reinstated by the housing company for good cause or as the result of an HCR appeal determination, and this can negatively affect your position on the waiting list. In addition, at developments with open waiting lists, changes in the family composition of applicants who applied before you did can negatively affect your position.

  5. I know there has been some turnover of apartments at the development I applied to for admission, but my position on the waiting list hasn't changed.

    HCR Mitchell-Lama developments give preference to transfer applicants for three out of every four apartments of each size that become available. Consequently, admission waiting lists do not move as quickly as transfer waiting lists do.

  6. Is it still necessary to submit address and telephone number changes to a housing development in writing?

    Mitchell-Lama applicants are required to inform the housing development of any change in address or family composition within 30 days of such occurrence. Admissions applicants can now submit address and telephone number updates using the Update Contact Information form. Transfer applicants must still submit these changes in writing. Changes in family composition for both admission and transfer applications must still be submitted in writing.

  7. The Update Contact Information online form keeps giving me the error 'No records found that match your request'. What should I do?

    You should contact the housing development. It's possible that the application number or head/co-head of household information you are entering doesn't agree with the information on file. Also, contact information for transfer applications cannot be submitted online.

  8. I received an email that my address change was rejected, what should I do?

    Housing developments have the right to reject changes submitted online. Contact the housing development to find out why your change was rejected.

  9. I am on more than one Mitchell-Lama waiting list. Do I need to submit the online change form to each housing development?

    Yes, you must submit an online change form to each housing development to which you apply. 

Contact and Complaint Information

If you live in an HCR-supervised Mitchell-Lama development and are having issues, we want to hear from you. Please follow the instructions below to connect with us.


Mitchell-Lama Online Complaint Form

Mitchell Lama and Housing Authority Complaint Hotline: 866-463-7753

General Info Line:

Mitchell-Lama Info Line: 1-212-480-7343


Español (Spanish)

Llámenos al 1-212-480-7147 si necesita ayuda gratis en su idioma.


中國 - 傳統 (Chinese - Traditional)

請給我們打電話號碼 : 1-212-480-7147, 要求免費的語言協助服務。


Русский (Russian)

Чтобы получить бесплатные переводческие услуги, позвоните, пожалуйста, по следующему номеру: 1-212-480-7147


Italiano (Italian)

Chiamare il 1-212-480-7147 per assistenza linguistica gratuita.


Kreyòl ayisyen (Haitian-Creole)

Tanpri rele nou nao 1-212-480-7147 pou jwenn sèvis èd gratis nan lang


한국어 (Korean)

전화1-212-480-7147 로 무료 언어 지원 서비스를 요청하십시오.

Mitchell-Lama Applicant FAQ's

How can I get information about HCR supervised Mitchell-Lama developments?

Separate listings of family and senior citizen developments, arranged by county, are available on this web site. These listings show the name and address of the development, indicate whether it is a rental or a cooperative, and provide the number of apartments, the approximate wait, and an address and telephone number for contacting the sponsor or managing agent for information and applications. Federally-assisted developments are also identified on the listings.

What is a federally-assisted development?

Federally-assisted developments receive Section 8 or Section 236 subsidies which enable tenants to pay below market rents, based on their income. These developments are subject to HUD rules and regulations.

What are the requirements for admission?

For both federally-assisted and non-federally-assisted Mitchell-Lama developments, an applicant's adjusted annual household income must not exceed a prescribed limit, the household composition and the size of the desired apartment must agree with the occupancy standards approved for the development, and the apartment must constitute the primary residence of all household members. In addition to these statutory and programmatic requirements, each development establishes its own tenant selection criteria covering such areas as minimum income, credit worthiness, good housekeeping, etc.

What are the maximum admission income limits at these developments?
Maximum admission income limits differ for federally-assisted and non-federally-assisted developments.

For federally-assisted developments an applicant's annual household income must not exceed the income limit for the applicable HUD program for the area in which the development is located, adjusted for household size, as shown on the most recently issued HUD schedule.

For non-federally-assisted rental developments the annual apartment rent is used as the basis used for calculating the maximum admission income limit. For cooperative developments the basis is the annual carrying charge, plus 6% of the equity, plus $120 multiplied by the number of rental rooms. To arrive at the maximum income limit for both types of developments, the basis is multiplied by 7 for households of one to three persons, or by 8 for households of four or more persons.

An applicant whose adjusted household income exceeds the maximum admission income limit may be admitted paying a rent surcharge, if applicable, in either of the following cases:

The household has three or more persons and the adjusted income does not exceed 125% of the maximum income limit.

The adjusted income does not exceed the median income most recently determined by HUD, adjusted for household size, for the area in which the development is located.

How is an applicant's adjusted annual household income calculated?
For federally-assisted developments, a 12-month projection of the applicant's household income is used with specific exclusions and deductions detailed in the HUD Handbook 4350.3, Occupancy Requirements of Subsidized Multifamily Housing Programs.

For non-federally-assisted developments, the actual adjusted federal gross income reported on the State (or federal) income tax return for the prior calendar year is used. The following deductions and exemptions are permitted: $20,000 (or wages, if less) for each secondary wage earner; $1,000 for each household member who filed a State income tax return and was not claimed as a dependent by another; and dependent exemptions, medical and dental expenses and taxable social security benefits actually claimed on the return.

If my last year's income tax return reflects non-recurring income such as lottery winnings or capital gains, should it be included in the calculation of my adjusted income?

If you are applying to a federally-assisted development, non-recurring income would not be included in the calculation of your adjusted income, only the current actual or imputed interest income from those monies would be included. However, if you are applying to a non-federally-assisted development, non-recurring income that is included in the adjusted federal gross income reported on your last year's tax return would also be included in the calculation of your adjusted income.

What if an applicant is found to be over income for a specific available apartment but is income eligible for another similarly sized apartment in the development with a higher rent?

An applicant such as this should be permitted to remain on the development's waiting list until the apartment with the higher rent and maximum income limit becomes available.

Are there any restrictions on the minimum income standards that can be used at these developments?

Yes. Minimum income standards cannot exceed 40 times the monthly rent for non-senior citizen households or 36 times the monthly rent for senior citizen households. In addition, applicants who do not meet the standard must also be given an opportunity to demonstrate their ability to pay the monthly rent or carrying charge. Applicants cannot be required to meet the minimum income standard until they have been reached on the waiting list and an apartment is available.

Can an applicant be refused admission to one of these developments because he or she has a Section 8 subsidy?

No. If an applicant meets the applicable statutory, programmatic, and tenant selection criteria, he cannot be refused admission to the development because he has a Section 8 subsidy. The applicant must be allowed to use the subsidy to demonstrate the ability to pay the monthly rent or carrying charge.

I believe that my application for admission to one of these developments was unfairly rejected. Do I have any recourse?

State supervised Mitchell-Lama developments are required to send a written notification to rejected applicants which informs them of the reason for the rejection and advises them of their right to appeal to DHCR's Office of Legal Affairs within seven days of receipt of the notification. If your application was rejected and this procedure was not followed, you should contact this agency's Public Information Office at (212) 480-6731 and ask to speak to the Housing Management Representative for that development.

Tenant and Shareholder FAQ's

  1. Am I responsible for reporting changes in my household composition?

    Yes. The terms of your lease require that you advise your management office of any additions to or deletions from your household promptly. HCR regulations require that the notification be made in writing within 90 days after the change takes place.

  2. What are my responsibilities with respect to reporting my income?

    All tenants in HCR supervised Mitchell-Lama developments are required to report their income, and the income of all household members, annually and to comply with housing company requests for documentation. Tenants in federally-assisted developments are subject to HUD's annual income re-certification requirements. Tenants in non-federally-assisted developments are subject to HCR's annual income review procedure.

  3. I already submitted a copy of my New York State taxes last year with my income affidavit. Why must I now submit a certified copy of my NYS taxes?

    Your income determines whether or not you should pay a surcharge on top of your rent/maintenance charges and how much of a surcharge you will be assessed. When you are notified that you must submit a certified copy of your New York State taxes, this is because the information supplied did not exactly match the information New York State Taxation and Finance has on file. Therefore, your name appears on a discrepancy report and that discrepancy must be resolved in order to accurately assess your rent/maintenance charge. To resolve the discrepancy, management must verify the information you supplied by collecting a certified copy of your New York State taxes. To determine the exact nature of the discrepancy, you should contact your management agent.

  4. After filing my income affidavit late, management agreed to removed the 50% surcharge going forward but could not remove the surcharge already billed. Is this correct?

    Yes. When a tenant who is subject to HCR's annual income review procedure fails to submit a completed income affidavit, or necessary documentation, management is required to give the tenant one month's notice that a 50% surcharge will be added to the rent. Once the affidavit or documentation is submitted, management is required to recalculate the surcharge on the basis of the submission and the effective date of any resulting rent change should be the first of the following month. Management is not required to waive a surcharge that has already been assessed due to the failure of a tenant to submit the income affidavit on time.

  5. When I moved into my apartment I was single and have recently married. I would like to add my spouse to my lease but management says that I cannot do this. Why?

    As long as the tenant named on the lease remains in residence in a HCR supervised Mitchell-Lama development, additional occupants cannot be added to the lease. If the tenant named on the lease vacates the apartment, the right of a family member to remain in the apartment may be protected by HCR's succession regulations. In order for the family member to be covered by these provisions, he or she must be able to satisfactorily document that this is their primary residence and that he or she has been residing in the apartment with the tenant for two years, or since the inception of the tenancy or the commencement of their relationship. (The rule is changed to one year if the family member is a senior citizen or handicapped.) Documentation must include the income affidavits or re-certification forms filed during the family member's occupancy and, if necessary, the written notice of change to tenant's household (referred to in question 1 above).

  6. What is the definition of "family member" for the purposes of succession?

    HCR's succession regulations define family member as a husband, wife, son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, father, mother, stepfather, stepmother, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, grandson, granddaughter, father-in-law, mother-in- law, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law of the tenant. The definition of a family member also includes any other person residing with the tenant in the apartment as a primary or principal residence, who can prove emotional and financial commitment and interdependence between herself or himself and the tenant.

  7. What is the rent increase process and what part do I play?

    Overview of the Rent Increase Process

  8. I am a senior citizen and cannot afford a rent increase. Is there any help for me?

    The Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE) program for tenants in Mitchell-Lama developments is administered by the New York City Housing Preservation and Development. For more information, you may call 311 or view the below link: New York City Housing Preservation and Development SCRIE program

  9. I am disabled and cannot afford a rent increase. Is there any help for me?

    The Disability Rent Increase Exemption (DRIE) program for tenants in Mitchell-Lama developments is administered by the New York City Housing Preservation and Development. For more information, view the below link: New York City Department of Finance DRIE program

Buyout FAQ's

  1. What is a Mitchell-Lama Buy-out?

    "Mitchell-Lama" developments are affordable housing projects organized under Articles 2 and 4 of the Private Housing Finance Law, and supervised by the New York State Homes and Community Renewal ("HCR"). A "buy-out" occurs when the project pays off its mortgage and is removed from HCR's supervision as a Mitchell-Lama. Under the law, a Mitchell-Lama has the right to buy out after 20 years. The technical term for "buy-out" is "dissolution."

  2. After the buy-out, will my apartment still be subject to rent regulation?

    Your apartment will probably be subject to regulation if it was built before January 1, 1974, and is located in New York City, or Nassau, Westchester, or Rockland counties, in which case it is likely subject to either the New York City Rent Stabilization Law or the New York State Emergency Tenant Protection Act (ETPA), and therefore regulated by HCR's Office of Rent Administration. Otherwise, your apartment will no longer be subject to government regulation, unless the building goes under some other government subsidy program.

  3. How does the buy-out process work?

    HCR has promulgated regulations to assure that all residents and the public receive full advance disclosure of plans to dissolve, that there is a smooth transition of management, and that the housing company complies with all legal requirements prior to dissolution. No earlier than 365 days prior to the anticipated date of dissolution, the housing company must apply to HCR for permission to dissolve by submitting a "Notice of Intent." The 365 day requirement, and others mentioned below, may be altered by HCR depending on the unique circumstances of each housing development.

  4. Is there a requirement that the public be notified?
    After HCR has reviewed and accepted the material filed with the Notice of Intent, no earlier than 90 days prior to the anticipated date of dissolution, the housing company must serve a Notice of Public Meeting by door delivery to each tenant, and by certified or registered mail to HCR and to the:

    State Senator and Member of the Assembly for the district in which the project is located;
    Mayor and local Legislative Member for the project, if any; and
    President or Chairperson of the tenants' association or council.

    The notice must specify the day, date, time and place of a public meeting to be conducted by the housing company. The meeting must be conducted between 10 and 20 days of the Notice, and at least 60 days prior to the anticipated date of dissolution.

  5. Can the costs of the dissolution be built into my rent?

    A housing company seeking to dissolve a rental housing company may not charge or assess the costs of complying with the regulations, including the payment of required fees, to the operational or capital expenses of the company. These costs cannot be reflected in any rental charge or increase for any tenant of the housing development. The housing company must file an affidavit certifying compliance with these requirements with the Notice of Intent.

    The following answers only apply to projects subject to rent regulation under the New York City Rent Stabilization Law or The New York State Emergency Tenant Protection Act.

  6. How does Rent Stabilization work?

    Landlords may not charge rents above those permitted under guidelines established annually by local Rent Guidelines Boards. There are separate boards in New York City, Nassau, Westchester and Rockland counties. Tenants are entitled to renewal leases and required services, and may not be evicted except on grounds allowed by law.

  7. What happens if the landlord does not obey the rent laws?

    Tenants may file a complaint with HCR, who can direct owners to comply with the law, reduce rents, and levy fines on owners. HCR is required by law to reduce rents if services are not maintained. If a tenant is overcharged, HCR may assess penalties of interest or treble damages payable to the tenant.

  8. What will my rent be?

    The initial rent will be the rent in effect when Mitchell-Lama regulation ends, including income-related surcharges. That rent will be the base rent upon which all future rent increases are calculated, both for the existing tenant and future tenants. If an existing tenant receives a rental subsidy, and it is terminated on or after dissolution, the owner may charge only what the tenant had paid, not including the subsidy. If an apartment is vacant at the time of dissolution, the rent will be the rent charged to the last tenant, plus rental subsidies, but excluding any income surcharges.

  9. How will my lease be renewed?

    Upon dissolution, Mitchell-Lama leases are replaced by Rent Stabilization leases which provide for the same rent and expiration date as the Mitchell-Lama lease. When the first lease expires, the tenant will have the right to renew for a one or two year term, at the tenant's option, with a rent increase based on the then effective guideline set by the appropriate Rent Guidelines Board. Prior to dissolution, a Mitchell-Lama tenant who does not have a lease should contact the development's office to obtain one. If the tenant is still not able to obtain a lease, the tenant should contact the HCR Housing Management Bureau and ask for the representative assigned to the development.

  10. Does my air conditioner electrical charge under Mitchell-Lama continue under Rent Stabilization?

    For air conditioners in place upon dissolution, the electrical charge under Mitchell-Lama will be continued as part of the base rent under Rent Stabilization. For air conditioners installed after the date of dissolution, owners will be entitled to collect the electrical charge authorized by HCR Office of Rent Administration's annual update of Operational Bulletin 84-4.

  11. Does my parking charge under Mitchell-Lama continue under Rent Stabilization?

    For garage spaces rented upon dissolution, the parking charge under Mitchell-Lama will be continued, and then increased upon renewal of the apartment lease based on applicable guidelines. For garages spaces initially rented after dissolution, the initial charge will be at market rates, but renewal increases will be limited to applicable guidelines.

  12. Will I be entitled to the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption (SCRIE)?

    Under the Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption program ("SCRIE") tenants who are 62 years or older may qualify for full exemption or partial exemption from rent increases if their incomes are below a maximum limit allowed by law and they are paying at least one-third of their income for rent. In New York City, Senior Citizens who receive Public Assistance may also be eligible. For more information, contact the NYC Department of Finance, SCRIE/DRIE Exemption, 59 Maiden Lane, 19th floor New York, New York 10038. Telephone 311.

  13. Who may I contact if I have a problem?

    Tenants who are covered by rent regulation may still bring their complaints to HCR, but to a different part of the agency. Before dissolution, tenants contacted HCR's housing management office. After dissolution, tenants must contact HCR's Office of Rent Administration, whose offices are listed below.

    Rent Administration Borough and District Offices

Development Lists for Middle Income Families and Seniors

Following are lists, by county, of HCR supervised Middle Income Housing Developments for Families and Senior Citizens constructed under New York State's limited profit and limited dividend housing programs. The lists indicate whether the development is a rental or cooperative. If the development is accepting applications, an estimate of the wait for a studio or one-bedroom apartment is provided. Developments identified as "List Closed" generally conduct advertised lotteries to replenish their waiting lists. For complete details on apartment availability (including upcoming lotteries), admission eligibility, and application instructions, please contact the management office in the right-hand column.

Income Eligibility:

Federally-Assisted Developments - The US Department of Housing and Urban Development establishes maximum admission income limits for Section 8 and Section 236 developments, which are identified by an asterisk (*)on the list. These income limits, based on the area's median income adjusted for household size, are available on HUD's website at: www.hud.gov. To calculate household income for this type of development a 12 month projection of current income is used.

Non-Federally-Assisted Developments - Maximum admission income limits for non-federally-assisted developments are set at seven times the annual rent/carrying charge for families of three or less, or eight times the annual rent/carrying charge for families of four or more. To calculate household income for these developments the adjusted federal gross income reported on the prior year's New York State income tax return is used, less any dependent exemptions, taxable social security benefits, and medical expenses that are actually claimed on the return. An additional deduction of up to $20,000 of earned income is allowed for each secondary wage earner, and a deduction of $1,000 is allowed for each household member who files a New York State income tax return and is not claimed as a dependent by another person.

Rents and Carrying Charges:

Rents and carrying charges vary depending upon factors such as the development's operating expenses, the size and location of the apartment within the development, the amount of subsidy funds available under various State and federal subsidy programs (if any), and the applicant's household income.

Admission Preference for Veterans:

Pursuant to Section 31 of the Private Housing Finance Law, limited profit developments with open waiting lists are required to afford an admission preference to veterans, or their surviving spouses, who served on active duty during time of war (as defined in Section 85 of the Civil Service Law) and reside in New York State. Note that the following limited dividend family developments are not subject to this statute: Amalgamated Houses in the Bronx, the five Electchesters in Queens, Harry Silver Apartments in Brooklyn and Knickerbocker Village in Manhattan.

For information about New York City middle income developments write to New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development, 100 Gold Street, New York, NY 10038, call (212) 863-6500, visit their website at: http://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/index.page, or call their Affordable Housing Hotline: (212) 863-5610, or Spanish Speaking (212) 863-5620.

For information concerning New York City Housing Authority developments write to New York City Housing Authority, 250 Broadway, New York, NY 10007, call (212) 306-3000, or visit their web site at: https://www1.nyc.gov.