Records Access / FOIL

Records Access

Rent Regulation Records

NOTICE – Without filing a Records Access Request, owners can now independently at home or at the office print CERTIFIED Registered Apartment Information reports with print options for 5 years and All years.

  • ARRO has a reporting feature: RAI, Registered Apartment Information. Once you have submitted your registration, you will be able to access this report, located in Forms & Reports. 
  • The report has been created to enable you to independently print CERTIFIED 5-year apartment rent histories for all of your apartments to comply with the requirements of NYC Local law 113. As previously reported, DHCR staff will not be processing requests to generate these at Borough Rent Offices or through its Records Access Unit or email addresses.
  • In addition, owners can now print CERTIFIED all year apartment rent histories for all of your apartments for other purposes. 


  • Access to ORA records will be provided by email or postal mail only. File reviews will not take place at ORA offices.


Request for Records Access


ORA is the custodian of records for apartments subject to rent control and rent stabilization. These records include copies of orders, case files, rent control records and rent stabilized rent registration filings. In general, these records can be accessed by the subject tenant or owner of record, or their authorized representative, as of right. Therefore, it is not necessary for the requester to cite the FOIL statute when requesting records access and the requester may file a Request for Records Access by email to: [email protected] or may submit this form, Request for Record Access (Form REC-1) to:


Office of Rent Administration
Records Access Unit Gertz Plaza
92-31 Union Hall St., 6th Floor
Jamaica, NY 11433


ORA will accept requests for records if the identity of the requester is currently on file with ORA's database or if sufficient proof of identity is attached, such as a lease or rent receipt for tenants and a deed or tax bill for owners.


Requesters, whose requests are rejected, will be notified and advised of their right to resubmit their requests on Request for Record Access (Form REC-1) or by email to [email protected], with additional proof of identity and/or authorization attached.


For a full guide to obtaining records from ORA, including Subpoenas refer to Operational Bulletin #2016-2: Procedures for Requests for Records Access,Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) Requests and Subpoenas


Records related to apartments subject to rent control and rent stabilization can be accessed by the tenant, owner, or their authorized representative. File a request for records access by email to: [email protected] or may submit this REC-1 to:

Office of Rent Administration 
Records Access Unit Gertz Plaza 
92-31 Union Hall St., 6th Floor 
Jamaica, NY 11433

Instructions for Completing Request for Records Access Form (REC-1)

Sections 1, 2, and 3 of the Request for Record Access (Form REC-1) must be completed by the requester. Select only one category from Sections 4 through 8. Date and sign the request form.


Identification and Supporting Documentation

  • Tenant - attach proof of identity and proof of occupancy:
    For Rent Stabilized Apartment(s) - copy of lease, rent receipt or rent bill.
    For Rent Controlled Apartment(s) - copy of utility bill, rent receipt or rent bill.
  • Owners - attach proof of ownership: copy of deed (available online on ACRIS), copy of tax bill or proof of currently active ARRO account. If the owner is a company/corporation, also attach documentation that identifies owning officers by name (HPD Registration or relevant pages from Articles of Organization/Incorporation). 
  • Representatives - attach (a) authorization from parties represented; or (b) Power of Attorney; and (c) additional verification as requested above.


When records cannot be transmitted electronically, fees for reproduction of standard size paper are 25 cents a page. The fees must be paid by personal check, certified bank check, attorney’s check or money order, payable to DHCR. Cash will not be accepted.

Unauthorized Requests

Requests that are not submitted by the tenant or owner of record or their authorized representative are required to be submitted as FOIL requests. The requester may submit a letter that describes in sufficient detail the records sought. Those requests can be submitted via email to [email protected] or by U.S. Mail to:


NYS Homes and Community Renewal
FOIL Officer
641 Lexington Avenue
New York, New York 10022