Rent Tenants


Information and programs for low-income renters, Rent Stabilized tenants, and those in search of an affordable apartment
Rent News

NEW! - Rents, Leases, and Registrations for ERAP Recipients

1) Can owners who receive ERAP assistance for a rent stabilized apartment increase the rent?

For rent stabilized units receiving ERAP, lawful rent increases are allowed to be preserved in the lease, but landlords must follow ERAP guidelines and agree to not increase the monthly rental amount above the monthly amount due at the time of application for ERAP assistance for months for which the rental assistance is received and for one year from receipt of the ERAP payment. Owners are advised by DHCR to send a letter to the tenant at the time ERAP payments begin and attach an explanatory rider at the time of the lease renewal. The rider should clarify that a lower rent is being charged pursuant to an ERAP directive and that the higher legal rent cannot be collected during the period of the ERAP rent freeze. The higher legal rent that was in the lease can be collected only when the ERAP rent freeze expires. It is unlawful for an owner to demand arrears from the tenant, in a lump sum or in any other manner, for the difference between the higher legal rent and the lower rent for the period that the ERAP rent freeze was in effect.

2) How does an owner register the rent(s) for the rent stabilized apartment on the ARRO annual apartment registration online form?

In the Legal Regulated Rent field, a rent can be entered that includes all lawful rent increases, including lease renewal, IAI, and MCI, even if they are not being collected due to the receipt of ERAP assistance. In the Other Adjustments - Other field, “ERAP” can be entered. In the Actual Payment by Tenant field, the lower rent that is actually being paid can be entered.


There is new information available on the Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) webpage. For questions and information, call 1-844-691-7368 or visit

Expiration of Moratorium on Evictions

As of January 16, 2022, the Moratorium on Covid-related Residential and Commercial Evictions has expired. The Governor and Legislature are exploring pathways to assist owners and tenants. As additional information is available, we will update this page. In New York State, an eviction of a tenant is lawful only if an owner has brought a court proceeding and obtained a judgment of possession from the court.

For information on evictions and legal service providers, please visit the NY Court website at New York City Civil Court (, email [email protected], call 311, or visit 
DHCR Partners - Access Housing Referrals.





Alert icon

Important Notices and Recently Revised Documents


DHCR's Partners - Access Housing Referrals


Strengthening New York State Rent Regulations - The Housing Stability and Tenant Protection Act of 2019


Get Answers Fast with

NYS Rent Connect!

Find answers to the most common Rent Regulation Issues.
Access NYS Rent Connect

Watch NYS Rent Connect Intro Video
Know Your Rights as a Rent Regulated Tenant
Rent Regulation Glossary

Quickly identify topics typically addressed by the Office of Rent Administration

Common Rent Regulation Issues

Know Your Rights. Common Rent Regulation Issues for Tenants

Additional Information
Assistance Available in Multiple Languages

Español (Spanish)
中國  -  傳統 (Chinese - Traditional)
Русский (Russian)
Italiano (Italian)
Kreyòl ayisyen (Haitian-Creole)
한국어 (Korean)
বাংলা (Bengali)
אידיש (Yiddish)
Polski (Polish)
العَرَبِي (Arabic)

Contact Us
By phone:

Rent Info Line: 1 (833) 499-0343

In Person, by appointment only:

Visit one of our borough rent offices

Online Applications for Renters
Tenants of rent regulated apartments can visit the Renter's Online Applications page to apply for a rent reduction based on decreased services, perform a rent regulated building search, and check the status of a case using its docket number