Weatherization Assistance Resources

Weatherization Assistance Program

Weatherization Assistance Program


Weatherization Assistance Program

The NYS Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is the largest residential energy conservation program in the country.  NYS WAP assists income-eligible homeowners and renters in our state by reducing heating and cooling costs through energy-conservation measures, while also addressing health and safety issues in their homes.

NYS WAP services are prioritized to reduce the amount of energy needed to heat and cool homes, supply hot water and provide lighting, thus reducing energy consumption while minimizing the impact of higher fuel costs on low-income families now and in the future.

Both privately owned single-family and multi-family buildings are assisted.  The NYS WAP also helps reduce energy costs of affordable housing developed or supervised by HCR.  Homeowners, affordable housing developers, property managers, and other housing and community development agencies are encouraged to contact their local NYS WAP provider for more information.

Available Funding

Special Weatherization Preservation Plus (P+) Funding

Notice of Funding Availability & Request for Proposals: Weatherization Preservation Plus (P+) Initiative

Weatherization Assistance Program Funding

The program receives funding from the U.S. Departments of Energy and Health and Human Services.  NYS WAP services are available in each of the State’s 62 counties.  Every county, village, town, and neighborhood in the state is served by a local NYS WAP Provider.

Continue reading the following sections of this page for more information.


Households with incomes at or below 60% of state median income are eligible for assistance.  Program services are available to both homeowners and renters, with priority given to senior citizens, families with children, and persons with disabilities.

If a household contains a member who receives Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits or certain other forms of public assistance, the household is automatically eligible for NYS WAP services.  Applications are accepted from renters, homeowners, and rental property owners.  Potential program participants apply by contacting the WAP provider that serves their area.

View Current Income Limits

Applicant Information

Weatherization Brochure - For frequently asked questions and information about the weatherization program, please download our brochure.

Applicant FAQ's

What are the benefits of weatherization?

  • helps reduce energy costs;
  • conserves energy;
  • increases comfort in the home;
  • improves safety and health standards;
  • preserves housing; and
  • provides jobs.

How does the program work?

The weatherization program has four steps:

  1. An application is submitted to the local service provider to determine program eligibility;
  2. An energy audit of the home is conducted to identify needs;
  3. The home is weatherized; and
  4. Home is inspected to assure quality of work completed.

What services are included?

Services include but are not limited to:

  • sealing of cracks and holes to reduce heat loss;
  • insulation of attics and walls;
  • heating system repairs or replacement;
  • providing efficient lighting and refrigeration;
  • window and/or outside door repair or replacement;
  • minor repairs which are needed to ensure maximum efficiency of the weatherization services performed; and
  • mitigation of energy-related health and safety issues.

Who does the work?

Program services are delivered through NYS Homes and Community Renewal’s (HCR) statewide network of local service providers who may use their own licensed crews or hire local private contractors to perform the work.

What is the quality of the materials used?

HCR requires providers to purchase and use materials that meet state and federal government standards. HCR offers providers training in quality control and material use.

Is there a charge for weatherization services?

All services are provided without cost to the occupant of the home. However, owners of rental buildings must invest funds toward the cost of weatherization services performed on their property.

Who is eligible for weatherization services?

Eligibility is based on household income relative to federal low-income guidelines. If a household contains a member who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Public Assistance, Food Stamps, or Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) benefits, the household is considered automatically eligible for weatherization services.

Are renters eligible for services?

Yes. Applications are accepted from renters, homeowners, and rental property owners.

What type of home is eligible?

A manufactured or single-family home, an apartment building, and a single room occupied as separate living quarters are all eligible.

Can the weatherization program help me find other sources of energy aid?

Yes. Local providers are knowledgeable in the assistance programs from NYSERDA, the Office for Temporary and Disability Assistance, and gas and electric utility companies.

Who funds the weatherization program?

HCR’s Weatherization Assistance Program is funded by the US Department of Energy. In addition, HCR receives funds for Weatherization activities from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services through the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance.

How can I apply?

Contact a local service provider in your county for program information and an application.


Provider Information

NYS Weatherization Assistance providers who perform these services include community-based not-for-profit organizations, community action agencies, counties, and units of local government.  To be eligible, a provider must demonstrate the capacity to administer the Weatherization Assistance Program and have history of providing service to the community.  Service providers who have demonstrated this capacity are selected through an annual State planning process.  These selected providers then enter into a contract with the State and are referred to as NYS WAP Subgrantees.

Weatherization Assistance Providers – Use this list to identify the appropriate provider to contact about NYS WAP services.

Weatherization Assistance Provider State Plans

Policy and Procedures Manual

Files and Information for WAP Subgrantees Only
(requires user ID and Password)

Provider Forms


General questions about HCR's Weatherization Assistance Program should be directed to: (518) 474-5700.